Fort Charlotte, is the largest fort on New Providence at 100 acres. Located one mile west of downtown Nassau, just off West Bay Street, it sits on a hill overlooking the far west end of the harbour, commanding an impressive view of Paradise Island, Nassau, and the harbour.
Built in 1788 by Lord Dunmore, the fort was named after the wife of King George III, Queen Saharia Charlotte. The middle bastion, Ft. Stanley and the western portion, Fort D’Arcy were added later. The fort has a moat, dungeons, underground passageways, and 42 cannons, which have never been fired in an act of aggression.